EVENT: 150+ IEC 61850 leaders will convene in Sweden on 18-22 October 2021, to review the latest implementations of IEC 61850 systems within the substation, inter-substations, to the control room, and across DER infrastructure
Recent research carried out by Smart Grid Forums among power grid operators worldwide, indicates that Covid-19 has injected urgency into utilities’ digitisation plans with profound implications for substation automation teams. This year’s 8th annual IEC 61850 Week 2021 hybrid conference will be held 18-22 October 2021 in Sweden and draw together pioneering IEC 61850 implementation leaders for a week-long review of the latest standardisation developments, pilot project results, large-scale implementation experiences, and future application explorations.
The focus will be on driving the deployment of next generation IEC 61850 architectures through more efficient specification, engineering, testing, operation, maintenance, and innovations in cybersecurity within a more rapid ‘replacement’ environment. Case-studies will focus on implementations of process bus and station bus architectures, with applications within the substation, inter-substations, from substation to control centre, and across distributed energy resources.
Monday 18th October: Specification Workshop
The week begins with a hands-on practical workshop providing utilities and suppliers with the opportunity to explore how they can leverage IEC 61850 specification guidelines to improve their collaboration, streamline the end-to-end specification process, reduce duplication of effort, and ensure clarity of utility objectives whilst leveraging supplier expertise.
Tuesday 19th to Thursday 21st October: Implementation Case-Study Conference & Exhibition
Over the course of these three days, participants will hear the latest lessons learnt from pilot projects and large-scale deployments of multi-vendor multi-edition IEC 61850 systems worldwide. With case-studies from Europe, Americas, Asia, Middle East and Africa, this is a unique opportunity to gain a global perspective on real-world deployment activity, future system and component requirements, and explore brand new partnership opportunities.
Friday 22nd October: Cybersecurity Seminar
The week wraps up with this deep diving seminar into the cybersecurity issues currently impeding the deployment of IEC 61850. With a thorough exploration of IEC 62351 both on a conceptual level and in terms of its application and evolution, participants will come away with a clear understanding of how they can tighten up system security today and what cybersecurity innovations they can plan to leverage tomorrow.
- Christoph Brunner, President – it4power
- Alex Apostolov, Editor-In-Chief – PacWorld
- Frances Cleveland, President – Xanthus Consulting International
- Rannveig Løken, Senior Specialist Protection and Control Systems – Statnett
- Bas Mulder, Technologist OT – TenneT
- Dieter Binon, Expert, Digital Substations – Elia
- Mohseen Mohemmed, Protection & Control Engineering Manager – SSE
- Birkir Heimisson, Project Leader, Smart Grid Development – Landsnet
- David MacDonald, System Monitoring Lead Engineer – Iberdrola
- Anders Johnsson, Power System Specialist – Vattenfall
- Colin Scoble, Senior Protection Engineer – UK Power Networks
- Thierry Coste, Project Manager and Research Engineer – EDF
- Réne Troost, Grid Strategies – Stedin
- Helder Barbosa, Cybersecurity Project Manager – E-REDES
- Mark Thompson, Director of Digital Delivery – National Grid
- Deepak Maragal, Manager, Protection & Control – New York Power Authority
- Andrea Bonetti, Senior Specialist Relay Protection and IEC 61850 – Megger
- Stefan Meier, Global Product Manager – Hitachi ABB Power Grids
- Joerg Reuter, Director – Helinks
- Fred Steinhauser, IEC 61850 Expert and Digital Substation Expert – OMICRON
- Fabrice Strevens, Business Development Manager – Elvexys
- Juergen Resch, Industry Manager Energy – COPA-DATA
- Hitachi ABB
Due to ongoing travel uncertainties, this year’s programme will be held in hybrid format, with an onsite experience offered to those who will be permitted to travel, and an online alternative for those who won’t.
For more information please contact:
Mandana White, CEO, Smart Grid Forums
Smart Grid Forums Ltd
PO Box 63594, London, N19 9FT, United Kingdom
T: +44 (0)20 8057 1700 | email@example.com
Smart Grid Forums is an independent conference production company serving the smart grid technical community. We monitor the market, conduct depth interviews with technical decision makers, and translate this information into techno-commercial conferences that empower participants to accelerate their implementation plans and deliver exceptional results to their organisations. Our events are peer-to-peer, and they are immersive, exhaustive and action oriented. We place the utility voice centre-stage and uncover the implementation insights that enable you to benchmark your own digitisation strategy, fine-tune your own implementation plan, and deliver exceptional results to your own organisation.