The transition to renewable energy is rapidly changing the electricity grid. Grid operators are creating complex automation systems to accommodate windmills, solar power, and electric vehicles. These systems are creating new cyber security challenges. Addressing these challenges is critical to a secure electricity supply in our future.
For this purpose, European grid operators have joined forces in the European Network for Cyber Security (ENCS), an independent organisation owned by grid operators and with the goal of improving their cyber-security. ENCS is looking for security experts to help achieve this goal.
As a junior security consultant, you will be working with senior consultants on projects. You will help ENCS members with their security challenges, such as:
- assessing security risks,
- procuring secure equipment, and
- implementing information security management systems.
You will also work on member projects and European projects, researching the latest threats and risks facing grid operators, and the ways to mitigate these. Operator’s security challenges change each year. So, there is always variety in the work.
ENCS offers allows you to learn the security needs of the electricity sector and the differences between IT and industrial environments. You will be supported and given on-the-job training by senior ENCS staff and experts at our members.
As an ENCS consultant, you’ll need to:
- Be able to listen and learn on the job, with a view to becoming an industry expert
- Interact with ENCS stakeholder groups and ENCS members independently, and as part of a team
- Create new content for the ENCS website through technical research, publishing articles, performing security evaluations and white papers as determined by our members
- Develop a deep understanding of the legislation and regulation in the energy sector
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- Interest in security architecture, security management, definition of security requirements and security design activities. Experience with these topics in an internship or previous job is ideal
- Master’s degree in information security, computer science, electrical engineering or a related area
- Good communication skills, including comprehensive report writing and specific experience communicating security content for different audiences
- Self-motivated with the ability to think and work independently
- Fluent English and Dutch including conversational, reading and writing abilities
Additional useful skills are:
- Fluency in a third European language
- Good networking skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit
When infrastructure is critical, so is its security. With an ever more connected electricity grid, cyber security challenges are multiplying every day and demand a new way of thinking from security professionals.
Founded in 2012, the European Network for Cyber security (ENCS) is an independent, non-profit organisation dedicated to enhancing the security of critical energy infrastructures across Europe. Using our network in academia, government and business, we provide cyber security solutions and counsel to utilities and regulators.
By joining ENCS you’ll be part of a small, international team of industry experts making a real difference to critical infrastructure cyber security developments in Europe. From our offices in The Hague you’ll work across Europe, giving you the chance to:
- Work at the forefront of new security developments: Smart grids, electric vehicles, and industrial control systems offer unique security challenges. We are in a leading position to meet these by developing new solutions, finding new classes of vulnerabilities, and setting the standard for smart grid cyber security.
- Protect society: Keeping the grid secure while it is increasingly automated is critical if our society is to transition to renewable energy. ENCS has a unique position to act on behalf of our members to make sure their systems are secure.
- Develop your skills in an international environment: ENCS is a small company taking on big challenges. That creates a unique environment for ambitious talent to grow and take on new responsibilities
- An attractive salary (EUR 2700 – EUR 4400 / month based on experience)
- Health insurance contribution
- Pension contribution
- Mobility budget
- Laptop and mobile phone
Interested in joining us?
We hope so. Please submit your CV and a supporting cover letter in English outlining why you want to work For ENCS by e-mail to: email@example.com
Please note that an employee screening is part of the interview process. All employees of ENCS need to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate/Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG).